Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Team Leadership 1

OK, so it has been a little while since I made a really legitimate post.  So, here goes.  

Teamwork is a really amazing thing.a  I am a firm believer that the best way to accomplish anything is by getting the right group of people on the team, giving them the authority they need, and placing the right tools in their hands.  I think that a lot of people have the wrong impression of what team leadership is all about.  They want to have people on the team, but they fail to truly trust them.  Yes, you can be burned by team members.  I have certainly been hurt by people who I felt were key members of my team, but I have also been unbelievably blessed by members of my team.  In order for a team to truly be effective, I feel that you have to give the team the trust that they deserve.  It is easy to assign away the tasks that require no authority.  By authority I am talking about the positions that can truly make or break your ministry.  Leaders are often reluctant to give away the authority.  They feel like they are the only ones qualified to make decisions.  This is why, after being some where for a long time, they are still the ones picking out what kind of construction paper is going to be used for the craft this week.  I know this may be an extreme example, but it happens.  Why not let leaders be leaders, not just glorified or promoted followers.  If you make every decision for your team, you will always make every decision for your team.  That is all the time I have for this right now.  I will try to continue the thought later.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, Yo, pastor Scott. I think it would be cool to do some new games. Remember that double sided puzzle thing, when the boys were racing the girls? I was thinking we could do something like that. You could decide on a new game that you might want to play. So give me some ideas! See you tonight, Ethan Skorick