Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Teams and Interviews

Continuing where I left off before, Teams are awesome only when they are utilized to their fullest extent.  I am looking for ways to use my teams strengths to their fullest.  I want to allow people to be fully used by God to do great things.  I know that if I can get the right people on board, then powerful things can happen.  Right now I have a bunch of really talented people serving along side me in ministry.  I have the over-the-top energetic people, and I have the more reserved behind the scenes people.  I want to capitalize on all these gifts and make sure that AK is a better place because of it.

I am trying to totally change the way we place volunteers in kids ministry at Hope.  A few weeks ago, we had a huge influx of people that wanted to serve, 52 to be exact, and I saw it as the perfect opportunity to start are new system.  We are tracking this process and we know exactly where each person is on the road to become a volunteer that will stay with us for a long time.  Here is what we are trying to accomplish:  First, a person will sign up to be involved with Kids ministry, they will then get an email from me and a follow up phone call.  The email explains the process to them, and during the phone call I am setting up a personal interview.  Once we get them into the interview, we have them fill out an application, so we can run the background check on them, and we also find out a little bit more about them as a person.  We then share with them the different areas of Adventure Kidz, and we find out what they might be interested in.  We are trying to place them based on their interests/strengths, instead of based on our needs.  After the interview, we will place them in a position, and then do a follow phone interview at one month, and again at 3 months making sure they are happy where they are serving, if they are not, we will move them.  I know this sounds like a lot, but I really feel like this process has the potential to take our volunteer team to a new level of excellence.  (Imagine, a ministry where people are actually serving where they want to serve and where they feel like they can succeed.  That would be something, wouldn't it).  The next step in the process will be to find a test that I can give them that will let me know what some of their strengths/weaknesses are.  Then, I can really set them up to do great things!

No comments: